-
Posts
3,246 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by SPEEDY69
-
Riders what you liked in your team but not so much when they left
SPEEDY69 replied to rsarjant's topic in Years Gone By
I liked both of them but they could be a bit forceful up the inside. Eriksen did well in a world team cup I seem to remember and also remember him riding a big motocross/road bike at the end of season meeting all around the centre green - his van was also difficult to forget 😁 -
Yes. As far as I'm aware the only reason they are closed for speedway is the requirement for stewards. They are open when car racing is on.
-
Nope, not true. I energy to Torun for the Son or whatever it's called, racing was reasonable but very poor crowd. For a team match it's packed. Belle Vue crowds are no bigger than those at Poole but which has the best racing. The feeling and experience of being there is the most important factor. Quality of racing comes will behind that. That's why F1 remains well supported.
-
Hmm, let me say it again. Some riders in the past have started their career in the top league (not in a lower league) and become very successful. Age is not proportional to success/ability and there is so much evidence of this I don't think you need me to give examples. Many of the riders who have started brightly but then stunted/faded is nothing new and to be expected as when the pressure/requirement increases, there will of course be those who don't make it. The point I am making and which several people, including promoters do not seem to get, is that restricting opportunity by age is totally flawed. Parnytski was under 21 world champion but pants in the grand prix the following year. Crump was also world u21 champ and then won a GP the following season. Age is irrelevant. What they should be looking at, if they want to develop, is perhaps (and I haven't done a lot of thinking on this) is count experience ( a bit like flying hours for a pilot) and compare that with success, perhaps using averages as a measure, as well as individual successes. Then, a rider could be 25 and just starting out but get a place at reserve because of their lack of experience. A rider who started in one of those reserve spots aged 16 and now 24, still averaging 2.5 points per meeting, should not be ahead of the 25 year old in the queue for a place.
-
But if they never ride in the Championship then that's irrelevant as they'd be doing well in the top league. I think you're now falling into the trap of focusing on age and relating that to ability, which is the mistake with any age restriction.
-
I haven't been calling him out or offering an opinion on here at all but I'm now curious as to why you think someone would be reticent to give their opinion to him directly - what would happen?
-
Several riders have been top league standard and even world class before 21 years old. I don't like age restrictions as the sport should cater for talent so your suggestion of of achievement before being placed in the top league has merit as so many do struggle, but we have also seen success stories there (Loram and Screen spring to mind). If they're talented enough they will shine through.
-
What some seem to have missed from Richard Coleman's vision is that he wants much bigger divergence between Premiership and Championship in terms of standard. So this may see Championship sides get weaker, as well as Premiership teams getting stronger, looking to reduce doubling down further. This may make each league more of less attractive for promoters. Let's see what happens
-
Hawk, you can get a bus to within about a 5-10 min walk of the stadium but I expect they'll have some GP special transport laid on from the railway station and town centre.
-
I get what you're saying here but if he can't turn it around over a whole season, why should it happen over the winter? I'm not too sure if he's reached his level, a six pointer capable of the odd great meeting and a stinker to follow.
-
Wild Cards for 2027
SPEEDY69 replied to LagutaRacingFan's topic in Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway World Cup
He's had almost as many wild cards as Harris 😁 -
Yes, it was a dull meeting I thought, only the suspense of who might win the shield this year kept it marginally interesting.
-
GP venues and news for 2027
SPEEDY69 replied to racers and royals's topic in Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway World Cup
I think the GP organisers expect the host club to pay a really sizeable sum just for the privalige of hosting, that would be in those costs. With a maximum of 6k fans at the NSS this makes it hardly worth it financially. There should be more opportunity at Ipswich. -
GP venues and news for 2027
SPEEDY69 replied to racers and royals's topic in Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway World Cup
Great to have a new venue in the UK, 10-12k possible crowd makes it viable. Now see who wants to ride for Ipswich next season 😁 -
Agreed and I'm not hostile at all. I said at the start of the season the Aces were favourites and so it's proved, simply because they had the best team with riders on the up, especially at reserve. I also don't get the constant moaning and whinging about the Ipswich team. Blimey, they made the cup final, got into the playoffs and could have easily finished second in the table, for me, that seems a successful season.
-
Sheffield v Leicester 24/09 7:30pm - PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to 40-38's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
I think fans use this 'British bikes/polish bikes' line simply to try and make an argument. I cannot for the life of me see a rider wanting to have inferior equipment anywhere if they can avoid it as they want to be successful everywhere. Of course different engines have different characteristics to suit the conditions and no one can deny the tracks are generally very different. -
Tai Woffinden Testimonial
SPEEDY69 replied to WookieboyDon's topic in Speedway Testimonials & Individual and Shared Events
They're not new rules - have always been there regarding goods coming in from outside the UK (outside the EU when we were members). Another Brexit benefit.......... -
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Nope, has always been open to riding again next season, depends how he feels at the end of this one. -
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Yep I did, before the season started and during it, you were always winning it this year. Found this post but haven't time to scour through all past ones 🙂 In SGB Premiership Speedway League Posted June 11 BV nailed on now to be Premiership champions. -
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
He'll be too busy riding to fit that in 🙂 -
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
100% agree. -
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
No, only as a rare visitor to Foxhall - think he'd left before I started going to Lynn. -
I wouldn't have Brennan, has been poor all season and not really improved since moving to No.4. Woryna would be an injury risk for sure!
-
Ipswich v Belle Vue PO Semi 1st Leg
SPEEDY69 replied to Rob B's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Well, the result was as expected maybe but fans were given hope with the 5-1 in heat 1. Unfortunately as I feared it was mega slick and served up the worst meeting of the season, simply nothing you could do if behind. All the best to the Aces for the final, let's hope it's not too one-sided.