arnieg Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 40 minutes ago, norbold said: Just seen the latest update from Ipswich. First Witch When shall we three meet again In thunder, lightning, or in rain? Second Witch When the hurlyburly's done, When the battle's lost and won. Third Witch That will be ere the set of sun. First Witch Where the place? Second Witch Upon Foxhall Heath. ALL Fair is foul, and foul is fair: Hover through the fog and filthy air. It's the Birnam Wood Badgers who are the mystery 6th team isn't it? 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
norbold Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 8 hours ago, arnieg said: It's the Birnam Wood Badgers who are the mystery 6th team isn't it? I believe so, but only after they've moved to Dunsinane. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tom Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 (edited) I fully applaud the introduction of Shakespeare to this topic. Although A Comedy of Errors, his iconic farce, is probably more appropriate. For me it’s not unreasonable that the riders want enough money to make a living. It’s a dangerous job, they could be paralysed at any moment, and there are costs. The basic problem here is NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE GOING TO THE SPEEDWAY. If there were more fans, there would be more money generally, more interest in TV deals, more ability to fend off developers trying to build on the stadiums, more justification for asking for local or national government support. Just more people, through the gates, that’s what is needed. In particular young people, since they are less likely to die and thus more likely to keep coming to the speedway. And maybe even allowing their kids to do speedway. Big name riders ain’t gonna do that if nobody’s heard of them anyway. What speedway basically needs is to hook in whole new categories of people, if necessary for free. The single thing that has allowed me to get my wife into speedway last year has been the matches showing up on YouTube for free. note that this is already happening. Nothing extra needs to be done to facilitate it, but if for example BSN decided to make one full match per week available on YouTube for one week only, for free, consistently, and publicise that, that gets somewhere. the other half of the strategy is an energetic social media campaign to push this free footage to people who haven’t seen it before, using mostly TikTok and instagram. Once a buzz starts, that will wake up monster and other potential sponsors. Potentially it might be worth the clubs giving out bucketloads of free tickets to neighbours and local colleges/universities - because none of those people are going anyway, the clubs would lose no money, but gain some in merch/bar revenues, and a stronger argument when negotiating with the local council next time round. And sponsors and tv revenue. look, it doesn’t matter what form the league takes or how many teams there are. It could be the same opponent every week, it would still be a much better sport than football. If they run out of teams belle vue could hold a Peter craven series, just doing open individual meetings every week. Whatever. All that matters is getting young people to go to the matches, which starts with not taking down the naughty YouTube videos but instead pushing them. The sport itself is good enough that once we get it alight the whole thing will catch. But if we just huddle in the corner waiting for the killing blow to come, then it’s all over sooner or later. Edited February 22 by tom 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Spidvej Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 Before putting this together, I was obviously well aware that the usual suspects — the Richard Coleman fan club from deepest, darkest Bury St. Edmunds and beyond — would be ready with their pom-poms to defend their hero. Anyway… While browsing the FIM Speedway website earlier, I noticed a link to the Mayfield Sports Events site and decided to take a look: https://www.mayfield-ms.com Ignoring the outdated design (it’s mostly text blocks and dated graphics), what instantly stood out was this: there’s no mention whatsoever of Speedway or MotoGP. It’s all about Formula 1. And even that’s stuck in the past — the site lists Günther Steiner as Haas F1 Team Principal (he left in January 2024) and Otmar Szafnauer as Alpine’s Team Principal (he departed in 2023). We’re now in February 2026, which means the Mayfield site hasn’t been updated in at least two years. Odd, isn’t it? Not that the Coleman cheerleaders will see a problem, of course… Coming from a background in the insurance industry — particularly compliance — I can say this much: the situation with Coleman/Mayfield doesn’t pass the “smell test.” Back in the day, we’d make sure anyone collecting client money — insurance agents, advisers, financial consultants — was “fit and proper”: no major debts beyond a mortgage, no red flags for embezzlement or mismanagement. When I read posts from “Flagrag” and “DHSS” on the Northampton thread, and then see multiple companies with near-identical names, plus Coleman’s previous court case, it all feels… off. Something doesn’t quite add up. My prediction (and honestly, I hope I’m wrong): even if Coleman and Mayfield finally complete their long-awaited takeover of Ipswich Speedway, they’ll scrape through 2026 by the skin of their teeth — if they finish the season at all. And when the dust settles? We could potentially be looking at unpaid riders, unpaid suppliers, disappointed sponsors, and a fair few let-down fans, and Coleman trying to run away from unpaid bills and responsibilities! 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve Irving Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 3 minutes ago, Spidvej said: Before putting this together, I was obviously well aware that the usual suspects — the Richard Coleman fan club from deepest, darkest Bury St. Edmunds and beyond — would be ready with their pom-poms to defend their hero. Anyway… While browsing the FIM Speedway website earlier, I noticed a link to the Mayfield Sports Events site and decided to take a look: https://www.mayfield-ms.com Ignoring the outdated design (it’s mostly text blocks and dated graphics), what instantly stood out was this: there’s no mention whatsoever of Speedway or MotoGP. It’s all about Formula 1. And even that’s stuck in the past — the site lists Günther Steiner as Haas F1 Team Principal (he left in January 2024) and Otmar Szafnauer as Alpine’s Team Principal (he departed in 2023). We’re now in February 2026, which means the Mayfield site hasn’t been updated in at least two years. Odd, isn’t it? Not that the Coleman cheerleaders will see a problem, of course… Coming from a background in the insurance industry — particularly compliance — I can say this much: the situation with Coleman/Mayfield doesn’t pass the “smell test.” Back in the day, we’d make sure anyone collecting client money — insurance agents, advisers, financial consultants — was “fit and proper”: no major debts beyond a mortgage, no red flags for embezzlement or mismanagement. When I read posts from “Flagrag” and “DHSS” on the Northampton thread, and then see multiple companies with near-identical names, plus Coleman’s previous court case, it all feels… off. Something doesn’t quite add up. My prediction (and honestly, I hope I’m wrong): even if Coleman and Mayfield finally complete their long-awaited takeover of Ipswich Speedway, they’ll scrape through 2026 by the skin of their teeth — if they finish the season at all. And when the dust settles? We could potentially be looking at unpaid riders, unpaid suppliers, disappointed sponsors, and a fair few let-down fans, and Coleman trying to run away from unpaid bills and responsibilities! You were banging this exact drum a couple of months ago on the GP thread, predicting the end of the GP series under these utter frauds, and that they would be seriously cutting the number of GP’S, if they announced any at all. A week later they announced, a FULL GP Calendar, as promised. You, then promptly disappeared after being made to look ‘kin stupid. And here we are, you’re on here again with your broken crystal ball predicting all sorts of doomsday scenarios regarding Mayfield sports. Despite denials, you clearly have a personal axe to grind. You’re either a rider, a friend of a rider, family member or sponsor, who is unhappy that they’ve cut the riders prize money (sensibly). Either that, or you’re just completely unhinged and are in need or some serious help. 1 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Aries Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 We’re just going to have to wait and see. Proof of the pudding and all that. They, just like anyone else, deserve to be given a chance. I do find these posts from this particular poster rather suspicious though. Not just the odd comment here and there, it’s literally essays every time criticising them which is a bit weird. 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hawk127 Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 9 minutes ago, Aries said: We’re just going to have to wait and see. Proof of the pudding and all that. They, just like anyone else, deserve to be given a chance. I do find these posts from this particular poster rather suspicious though. Not just the odd comment here and there, it’s literally essays every time criticising them which is a bit weird. Perhaps they are using Chatgpt or whatever the AI generator for nonsense is. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
89buttons Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 Technically we don’t even know the new owners of Ipswich Witches identity as yet, might not even be mayfield 😉 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teromaafan Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 Until the new owners of the club are revealed, Chris Louis owns Ipswich Speedway. He said a while ago that 5 riders were signed, so why can’t these be announced? These signings surely have the new owners blessing? He says he fully understands the frustration of supporters so why can’t at least some of the riders be revealed? He’d have been better off saying nothing. He’s shot himself in the foot in my opinion. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Aries Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 27 minutes ago, Teromaafan said: Until the new owners of the club are revealed, Chris Louis owns Ipswich Speedway. He said a while ago that 5 riders were signed, so why can’t these be announced? These signings surely have the new owners blessing? He says he fully understands the frustration of supporters so why can’t at least some of the riders be revealed? He’d have been better off saying nothing. He’s shot himself in the foot in my opinion. He said the new owners are nearing completion of the team, it didn’t sound like he had anything to do with it so it’s probably not his place to be naming them. Whether he’s technically still owner or not, he’s talking like the new owners are already in place and they’re doing all the work to get the club ready to race in “early April”. We have no idea how these people like to work. They’re clearly not going to be making any announcement on either the club, or rider signings, until the paperwork is officially completed. Which of course is their prerogative. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve Irving Posted February 22 Report Share Posted February 22 1 hour ago, 89buttons said: Technically we don’t even know the new owners of Ipswich Witches identity as yet, might not even be mayfield 😉 A member of Mayfield sports events LTD were present alongside Chris Louis at the recent staff signing on session. A lot of capital has already been committed via the club purchase, lease of the stadium, and rider signing on fees. This has resulted in them loaning a new air fence for the coming season, with a purchase option at a later date. If the new owners announced are not Mayfield Sports, then something has gone awry at the 11th hour and Louis has gone to plan B. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
old bob at herne bay Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 Thanks for the update …….theres still 3 weeks until the season kicks off so plenty of time .. let’s hope the team know when to turn up and who will pay their wages 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dontforgetthefueltapsbruv Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 13 hours ago, Teromaafan said: Until the new owners of the club are revealed, Chris Louis owns Ipswich Speedway. He said a while ago that 5 riders were signed, so why can’t these be announced? These signings surely have the new owners blessing? He says he fully understands the frustration of supporters so why can’t at least some of the riders be revealed? He’d have been better off saying nothing. He’s shot himself in the foot in my opinion. It's not his team to announce though is it! If you were negotiating a sale worth tens of thousands of pounds to you would you be disclosing the planned new owners team against their wishes? That doesn't seem the best way to conduct the process to me.... 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chris116 Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 My worry is that, potentially, we have a motor sport firm taking over at Ipswich and I remember all too clearly what happened to Rye House in a similar situation. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jonny the spud Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 Speaking as a speedway fan and not the parent of a rider. I would not be attending a meeting this year. To be left in the dark to this extent yet expected to pay my hard earned and turn up to watch god knows who on a random date yet to be determined…. I’d have found another sport to follow weeks ago. 3 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SteveLyric2 Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 (edited) 3 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said: Speaking as a speedway fan and not the parent of a rider. I would not be attending a meeting this year. To be left in the dark to this extent yet expected to pay my hard earned and turn up to watch god knows who on a random date yet to be determined…. I’d have found another sport to follow weeks ago. Just go to Championship fixtures - mostly the same riders. You know it makes sense......... 😉 Edited February 23 by SteveLyric2 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jonny the spud Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 (edited) . Edited February 23 by Jonny the spud Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ray Stadia Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 7 hours ago, Tapewrecker said: Football now is it?😂 You could say that.....both are a load of balls! 🙄 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roger Jacobs Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 2 hours ago, SteveLyric2 said: Just go to Championship fixtures - mostly the same riders. You know it makes sense......... 😉 Trouble is, Foxhall is a long way from most tracks, and Championship circuits are a major trek: Oxford 144 miles* Scunthorpe 189 miles Poole 205 miles Redcar 265 miles Plymouth 310 miles Workington 340 miles Berwick 357 miles Glasgow 417 miles Edinburgh 425 miles * even Oxford is a bugger of a journey from east Suffolk - I know, because I've driven it many times (when Son #2 was at Uni). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Aries Posted February 23 Report Share Posted February 23 Brennan, King, Lawson, Musielak, Nicholls, Edwards is definitely six of the seven. 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.