British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Your First Taste Of Speedway

Well, I am another who actually went to speedway before I was old enough to be aware of anything. I was told that I went the week before I was born, and three weeks after. Seeing that the match on 6th August was rained off, I would guess that my debut at Plough Lane would have been on Monday 13th August, 1962.

Again, while I can't remember that evening specifically, I will say that some of my earliest childhood memories are those from speedway. I remember "Olle white-boots", Mike "Zoomer" Coomber, and Leif Soderberg. As a young child, I remember us spending a weekend with Briggo in Southampton. I remember the trips across London to Custom House...

Ah, the memories...

Steve

• Like 1

My first meeting was the laurels at Wimbledon in October 1968, won by Barry Briggs. The second track i went to was plymouth pennycross when on holiday in 1969. My first dons away match was at west ham in May 1970, only a few weeks before the lokeren disaster.

My first meeting was the laurels at Wimbledon in October 1968, won by Barry Briggs. The second track i went to was plymouth pennycross when on holiday in 1969. My first dons away match was at west ham in May 1970, only a few weeks before the lokeren disaster.

Ah, I was at Custom House that night! Christer Lofqvist's first appearance, and Sverre Harrfeldt breaking his arm after Peter Murray took him off...

Steve

A tragic day for all speedway but for us West Ham fans, well...what can one say?.

A tragic day for all speedway but for us West Ham fans, well...what can one say?.

Agreed - so very, very sad.

I was working in London and went out for lunch, only to see the Evening Standard placards "shouting" the news. I went numb. I bought the Standard and the Evening News and read the reports in shocked disbelief.

I have forgotten much over the past 40+ years but not that.

• Like 2

Oxford, sometime in 1973, although cant remember too much about it!! I was born the same day as an Oxford vs Belle Vue KOC match, which my dad had to miss!

I do remember the Oxford Cheetahs team of 1979, I was six at the time, and remember George Hunter and Les Rumsey riding for Oxford. To begin with, I thought Les Rumsey was a woman, because one of my mums friends was called Leslie. Very vividly remember the Pip Lamb Benefit Meeting at the end of that season, two pairs meetings, a BL one and a NL one, and Bruce Penhall became a hero after that.

I filled in my first programme for the IL4TT round at Oxford in June 1980. Former Oxford rider Gordon Kennett rode for Eastbourne and scored a maximum and celebrated with a wheelie, while the NL Cheetahs finished third (largely thanks to Dave Perks and Derek Harrison), beating BL Wimbledon into fourth place.

All the best

Rob

SuperTed Derek Harrison what a bloody entertaining racer he was.

Age 17, at Somerton Park Newport, Saturday(due to rain off the previous night) June 13th 1964(OK OK Norbold I know I'm older than you!!!). Southern League Newport v. Long Eaton. Wasps won 52-25. First heat Alby Golden(R.I.P.) broke the track record. 5-1 to Newport. Dick Bradley scored a max for Newport Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams, John Mills was result of first heat.. I was hooked ,still have the program. Only riders still with us from that meeting are Dick Bradley , Jon Erskine, Vic White and Geoff Penniket for Newport and Ray Wilson, Norman Storer and Kid Bodie for Long Eaton. Hard to believe its that long ago.

yep-- Halifax 1967 v Belle Vue Northern Trophy Meeting (?) I was a then a teenager out on the fist motorbike I has owned, which then gave me an excuse to visit strange places, like Sheffield -Belle Vue- Newcastle and ....Coventry...why else would anyone go there, and hen...................Wembley 67...................yep I remember it well.

Sometime in 1949, with family friends and my older sister. I remember kicking loose shale and a rider in white, which presumable could have been Ken le Breton, but i don't know if he rode for 'us' or 'them'. Next visit was 1961 first meeting against Wolves, with Edinburgh reinforcements to make us look stronger. So I wasted my time from being 6 till 19 years old.

Sometime in 1949, with family friends and my older sister. I remember kicking loose shale and a rider in white, which presumable could have been Ken le Breton, but i don't know if he rode for 'us' or 'them'. Next visit was 1961 first meeting against Wolves, with Edinburgh reinforcements to make us look stronger. So I wasted my time from being 6 till 19 years old.

Ken Le Breton rode for Newcastle 47/48 & Glasgow Ashfield(The Giants) 49/50

Unless my memory is playing tricks I remember a 16 year old Dave Jessup, along with a young Barry Thomas having after meeting rides one night at West Ham.

As I remember it, it was a 15 year old Dave Jessup and a 16 year old Barry Thomas. Barry Thomas won but I thought Dave Jessup looked the better rider and I adopted him as my "protege"! Good choice I'd say!

Ken rode at Newcastle for The Wallabies against The Northerners in July 1949, then for Ashfield at the beginning of August when the first league match was abandoned after a few heats and twice in September in the league meetings between the Magpies and the Giants.

1972 Oxford vs. Coventry when Garry Middleton beat Nigel Boocock in the Golden Helmet. Great days!