British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4BM

Speedway Testimonials

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes and of course Oxford with Hans Nielsen although Leigh Adams did move around a bit but that was more to do with Swindon dropping a Division. One of my favourites at Oxford was Jens Rasmussen but he twice became a victim of the points limit.

Back in the day, you would get four or five of the team returning the following year. Look at Wimbledon. Trevor Hedge, Reg Luckhurst, Bob Dugard, and Jim Tebby were there from 1965 to 1970 (six years, they formed the basis of the team), and Olle Nygren was with them for the first four of those years...

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 10:09 PM, chunky said:

Back in the day, you would get four or five of the team returning the following year. Look at Wimbledon. Trevor Hedge, Reg Luckhurst, Bob Dugard, and Jim Tebby were there from 1965 to 1970 (six years, they formed the basis of the team), and Olle Nygren was with them for the first four of those years...

Ah. The good old days of rider control where the southern teams got first pick and could chose to keep whichever riders they wanted. The further north you were, the harder it was to build a decent 1-7. The likes of Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow often had to look to Europe to sign relatively unknowns, mostly Scandinavians, otherwise they’d be completely uncompetitive. 
I’m not sure when the “10 years on one team’s retained list earns the right to a testimonial” rule came in but it must have helped riders compulsorily moved on by the rider control committee. 

I personally don't have a problem with Testimonials, or farewells.

If I don't think the particular rider deserves it, I won't bother going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Ah. The good old days of rider control where the southern teams got first pick and could chose to keep whichever riders they wanted. The further north you were, the harder it was to build a decent 1-7. The likes of Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow often had to look to Europe to sign relatively unknowns, mostly Scandinavians, otherwise they’d be completely uncompetitive. 
I’m not sure when the “10 years on one team’s retained list earns the right to a testimonial” rule came in but it must have helped riders compulsorily moved on by the rider control committee. 

...Exeter had similar problems although both Martin Ashby and Bob Kilby complained bitterly about the "forced" move to Devon however one could argue that it made them better riders. I recall long after Rider Control ceased that when Exeter obtained Leicester's licence both Les and Neil Collins made it plain that neither would ride for Exeter!

Most Testimonial’s cannot now be taken seriously. It was usually rewarded after 10 years at the same club. I have no idea why that suddenly changed. Understand the ‘Farewell meetings’ (after long service) but not those that benefit then return a year or two later. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Most Testimonial’s cannot now be taken seriously. It was usually rewarded after 10 years at the same club. I have no idea why that suddenly changed. Understand the ‘Farewell meetings’ (after long service) but not those that benefit then return a year or two later. 

If they didn’t change it then no one would ever have a testimonial in this day and age

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

If they didn’t change it then no one would ever have a testimonial in this day and age

Quite right. Testimonial’s were rewarded for service to a club, not to the sport. A farewell meeting upon retirement I understand - but not then return a year or two later. 

• Like 1

Can anyone name riders who retired and make a come back after having a testimonial?

22 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Can anyone name riders who retired and make a come back after having a testimonial?

Did Rory Schlein not have a farewell meeting? Swindon and Edinburgh as well, but they don’t count!

48 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

May have been a "Farewell Meeting" but Todd Wiltshire?

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Retiring (farewell) are quite different to testimonial’s. A testimonial to me has always been every 10 years service to a club. 

3 hours ago, stevehone said:

So be it then. No-one has a right to a testimonial.

20 hours ago, Najjer said:

Didn’t Kasprzak get a testimonial a few years back? :D 

Almost...... It got rained off at Poole

On 4/3/2023 at 4:29 PM, secsy1 said:

Can't name a rider but Swindon did it as a club... 

• Like 2