British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Although I did get a few to attend for a few seasons anyway! But difficult when people have football season ticket for Premiership team. I think it helps when the kids get into it as nag the parents a bit! 

I've lost count the number of people I used to take or introduce to the sport but most lost interest or moved on to other things over time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

1. Actually thought they are doing well on the social media side generally. Maybe Leicester not that great at it? Though I mainly use twitter and Instagram. Don't like tiktok.

2. Interestingly when I talk to people about speedway I always think they won't know what I'm on about. But must of the time I get 'oh yeah, I used to go to that ..' 

3. Not sure how the 2 min rule is complicated or the super heat tbf! But I already said you don't tell new people the rules!!!!! Fatal error :nono:

4. Sounds like you need to trip to Plymouth lol, she can watch Richie and Kyle all she likes then.

5. Luckily my 11yr old isn't into it at the moment seeing as her fave rider Danny King isn't at Poole anymore. From my 11 yr olds pov, too long in between races, she says it's boring (then again I'm not sure she has actually seen a last heat decider at Poole!) She was into it for 2021 and 2022 but it was it lol. 

Are you a speedway promoter in disguise? This is why the sport in this country is failing as they can’t accept any criticism.

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Are you a speedway promoter in disguise? This is why the sport in this country is failing as they can’t accept any criticism.

Lol, okay then!  The one thing they are half decent at is social media, so no I am not going to agree with that. How is a 2 min rule complicated? 

Oxford's social media is outstanding - one of the things they've done very well since returning to the sport. The Instagram, Twitter and tiktok pages are constantly updated - I'm sure a few other clubs could learn a few things from the way the accounts are run.

33 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Oxford's social media is outstanding - one of the things they've done very well since returning to the sport. The Instagram, Twitter and tiktok pages are constantly updated - I'm sure a few other clubs could learn a few things from the way the accounts are run.

Tbf most teams are good at it. Redcar for one. No meeting on Friday but still lots of social media posts, to keep the interest there. Poole are good on twitter (preview and reaction) and on Instagram and esp Instagram stories with clips taken throughout the meeting.

I follow Glasgow on twitter for the scores really as they do some heat updates on there. But I love the bias towards themselves, it's pretty funny! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf most teams are good at it. Redcar for one. No meeting on Friday but still lots of social media posts, to keep the interest there. Poole are good on twitter (preview and reaction) and on Instagram and esp Instagram stories with clips taken throughout the meeting.

I follow Glasgow on twitter for the scores really as they do some heat updates on there. But I love the bias towards themselves, it's pretty funny! 

Poole also have an 'unofficial' fan page on Facebook on which all Poole official stuff is shared. As well as Piratecast - the fan video/podcast - very active on twitter, insta, tiktok and fb.

Plus of course all the regular stuff on local radio and newspapers online.

Edited by Skidder1

Surprised this thread has run to 9 pages.

For a  number of seasons the answer has been BLEAK , this season it must be BLEAKER. 

A steadily dwindling  people want to pay and watch the “product” in the UK . A steady dwindling number of landlords are interested in renting tracks for speedway.

• Like 1

You have only really made it as a forward thinking speedway club or rider if your being stalked by Poole fans on social media 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Surprised this thread has run to 9 pages.

For a  number of seasons the answer has been BLEAK , this season it must be BLEAKER. 

A steadily dwindling  people want to pay and watch the “product” in the UK . A steady dwindling number of landlords are interested in renting tracks for speedway.

Is this one of your 'Happy Days'

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, BassoRacingFan said:

Do we need to introduce gambling to speedway tracks?

I think this would attract some punters and make tracks more sustainable

Why introduce gambling. Most have been gambling on speedway for years hence the state its in!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TB1 said:

Why introduce gambling. Most have been gambling on speedway for years hence the state its in!

Didn't they try it at Peterborough 15+ years ago but it never caught on?

8 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

They certainly did on course betting at Covenrty for a while and they were also sponsored by Victor Chandler for a season or 2. Some matches were streamed on Bet365 also... but it all died a death for some reason, I have no idea why, maybe it was because Speedway was too predictable?

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

They certainly did on course betting at Covenrty for a while and they were also sponsored by Victor Chandler for a season or 2. Some matches were streamed on Bet365 also... but it all died a death for some reason, I have no idea why, maybe it was because Speedway was too predictable?

Possible reasons:

1) the risk/suspicion that race fixing could/was taking place

2) the odds setters were never sophisticated enough (e.g. failing to give due weight to gate advantage) to make money.

13 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

The bookies obviously don't rate otherwise they'd have been a shoe in years ago.

25 minutes ago, TB1 said:

The bookies obviously don't rate otherwise they'd have been a shoe in years ago.

Everybody is giving the sport a shoe in right now.