British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Mildenhall 03/06/23 3pm.

34 minutes ago, Neila said:

Comets beaten by a more solid side, and a reserve who scored the points,  comets had 2 riders in main body of team scoring big points and several retirements or fallers in scoring positions,  but on the day better team won 

Just shows how 3 heat leaders can make a difference,ref had a shocker 2 missed green lights we were lucky in ht 8 elliot had clearly shed a chain!

Some good speedway today, beaten by the better team who had 3 solid heat leaders. Mechanicals and falls cost the Comets valuable points. Harry continues to struggle with only 6 points from 15 rides to date a bit of a concern. Connor was good value today and rode a brilliant heat 15 before what looked like a mechanical cost him a much deserved win. Elliot was in the wars again and may also have suffered a mechanical for his second big of,f hope he isn't too bad. Great comeback for young Luke Harrison who also had a mechanical when in a scoring position. The skipper won't have been happy, he also had a mechanical in his his first ride when in a scoring position. 

More seating had been installed on the first bend since last week and it looked great so well done to all concerned. Unfortunate delay when someone took ill in the crowd with 2 races to go and once again on a breezy warm day it was hard work to keep the dust down. Missed Ranting Roy today, never thought I would say that.

Well done to the Fen tigers.

• Like 4

For info ranting Roy has a bad case of bronchitis 

• Sad 1

Good to see young Luke back in good form after his nasty injury.Seems to have made a good recovery.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, Piotr Pyszny said:

Thank you. Looking forward to it. Having lived in Whitehaven for a little over five years, between 1986 and 1992, I know how friendly Cumbrians are. :-)

I still smile when I recall some of the Glasgow-in-exile meetings I watched at Derwent Park in 1987!

So did you enjoy your visit today??

30 minutes ago, Neila said:

For info ranting Roy has a bad case of bronchitis 

Get well soon Roy 

49 minutes ago, singy13 said:

So did you enjoy your visit today??

Yes, we did. My wife was happy to do all the driving from and to York, so very much win win. :-) Lovely day to be crossing Stainmore and sliding beneath Blencathra. One of the clearest views of the Kirkcudbrightshire coast I've ever had from the Workington-Maryport area.

Very impressed with the track and the facilities. The racing was more interesting - less processional - in the second half of the match. Workington seemed to have a month's worth of bad luck in one meeting but, as others have said, there's no substitute for three strong heat leaders (not to mention useful points from one of your reserves).

Can't help feeling floodlights (on the cards, eventually?) and evening meetings would suit Workington better.

While the days are long, would it be worth starting a bit later - maybe 4pm or 4.30pm? On a day like today, might give the track a better chance.

During the pregnant pause between heats 13 and 14, I did a rough spectator head count. Came to about 800.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

Another enjoyable meeting today obviously not the score we wanted but plenty of good signs especially from Luke Harrison great stuff . 

Hope Elliot is ok that was a nasty one need him ok for the 18th away at Mildenhall 

Still very happy to see speedway back at Workington such a great set up too!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Would say he's about 85% at the moment no issues on the bike but feels it when the adrenaline stops. As a family we are happy with his recovery so far

Let's hope as he develops that he (and all the other young riders coming through), get looked after with ring fenced team places in the middle tier..

Which should be their key development ground as they organically bridge the gap between 3rd Div and the top league...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Let's hope as he develops that he (and all the other young riders coming through), get looked after with ring fenced team places in the middle tier..

Which should be their key development ground as they organically bridge the gap between 3rd Div and the top league...

100% true sadly our sport looks for the next bright prospect promises so much and fails so often. I don't understand why we don't have under 21 British riders at both reserve positions until they're 20 or 21 regardless of the averages. Also would like to see top three average riders in a team  at 1,3,5 and the 4th and fifth at 2 the 4 . Reserves should only ride against each other twice then the oppositions 2 and 4 once as this is where the next step out of reserve is . Having young reserves race against heat leaders is a frankly ridiculous state of affairs. 

• Like 4

I hope Harry will rediscover his love for the sport. 

The Sam Norris crash, a few years back, must have affected both brothers and others close to that age group, although fantastic to see how Sam recovers as time goes by. 

The spell at Plymouth in CL is a perfect example of how the sport uses young lads not yet ready and then spits them out with shot confidence and dissilusion. 

Hopefully Harry can regroup stronger

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

100% true sadly our sport looks for the next bright prospect promises so much and fails so often. I don't understand why we don't have under 21 British riders at both reserve positions until they're 20 or 21 regardless of the averages. Also would like to see top three average riders in a team  at 1,3,5 and the 4th and fifth at 2 the 4 . Reserves should only ride against each other twice then the oppositions 2 and 4 once as this is where the next step out of reserve is . Having young reserves race against heat leaders is a frankly ridiculous state of affairs. 

The Elite League fast track format did exactly that. I thought it was the perfect race format. Surely heat leaders racing each other more often, ditto the reserves is good for the fans (closer racing), for the riders (improve more when racing similar standard riders) and the promoter's (high paying heat leaders will naturally score less).

I particularly dislike the weakest Champ reserve racing at 6, after heat 2 he meets the 1+2 then 3+4 pairing then most likely dropped from his 4th ride. How can they expect to improve under those circumstances.

I certainly much prefer the RS having to race at 7 & not able to be replaced in heat 8 in the Prem, wish they'd at least do the same in the Champ with the lowest averaged reserve. 

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, HGould said:

I hope Harry will rediscover his love for the sport. 

The Sam Norris crash, a few years back, must have affected both brothers and others close to that age group, although fantastic to see how Sam recovers as time goes by. 

The spell at Plymouth in CL is a perfect example of how the sport uses young lads not yet ready and then spits them out with shot confidence and dissilusion. 

Hopefully Harry can regroup stronger

Yes, it's sad to see such a great respect as Harry having such a bad time. He had a big off once in I think a Czech meeting a few years, and had to be nursed back from that. He had a mixed year last year with the Colts with some poor rides in a fairly decent year hence his start average this year. Last year it was Sam that had some 0 meetings and look how well he is flying now. Both seem to be prone to have the odd bad meetings but Harry this year is a different matter. Worky really need to replace him quickly while he takes time to get it back. Worky being such a great investment needs to be winning everything at home and performing well away. A second heat leader getting under 2 points per meeting is not good for their future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1