British Speedway Forum
Najjer

Survival of The Premiership?

One more “ How come we’ve lost almost every match, yet commentator keeps saying we might make the play offs?” 

Now in the lads defence as a Brummies fan, it does feel a bit strange.

Edited by Deano

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

There seems to be the impression that 'gate and go' only applies to one or two riders per race?!

'Gate and go' can apply to all 4 riders in a race, is very often NOT boring and often provides decent, fast racing by riders that 'miss the gate'!

If all 4 'gate and go' then the racing can be very close even when there are no overtakes!!

Clearly your interpretation of racing is different to mind if you find follow the leader decent.

i like Dan Bewleys black panther fist wave after he wins a race.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, DazS said:

i like Dan Bewleys black panther fist wave after he wins a race.

I think if Tim Henman had been a speedway rider he would have celebrated like Dan...:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Clearly your interpretation of racing is different to mind if you find follow the leader decent.

Why should 'gate and go' mean 'follow the leader'?  All 4 riders could gate and go, and the racing could be fast and close, Clearly a 'leader' is going to win with others following, other wise every race would be a 4-way dead heat (if the transponders allow?)

Maybe the answer is in the heat format and there should only be heat leaders v heat leaders; 2nd strings v 2nd strings and reserves v reserves, rather than always blaming the tracks?

Edited by Skidder1

For me next season we HAVE to put an end to doubling up. It doesn't matter how they do it they've just got to do it... it's effecting the sports credibility and therefore crowds,  it effects what nights clubs can run on... and therefore crowds and in turn because clubs can only run on 2 nights of the week it causes fixture congestion and therfore effects crowds. That particular genie is well and truly out of the bottle and is going to take a massive change to get it back in

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

For me next season we HAVE to put an end to doubling up. It doesn't matter how they do it they've just got to do it... it's effecting the sports credibility and therefore crowds,  it effects what nights clubs can run on... and therefore crowds and in turn because clubs can only run on 2 nights of the week it causes fixture congestion and therfore effects crowds. That particular genie is well and truly out of the bottle and is going to take a massive change to get it back in

No chance I would think..

The riders will say they cannot make it pay..

And the promoters and fans in the 2nd Div will expect to use and see Div 1 HL"s..

A ludicrous situation that was allowed to happen is now "the norm"...

Unraveling it all will be nigh on impossible I would say, given all the stakeholder's individual requirements..

An example of what you get when the top league gets its tail wagging it..

And when no one is really in charge to say "not happening" to the latest ridiculous short term rule or reg that gets proposed..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

No chance I would think..

The riders will say they cannot make it pay..

And the promoters and fans in the 2nd Div will expect to use and see Div 1 HL"s..

A ludicrous situation that was allowed to happen is now "the norm"...

Unraveling it all will be nigh on impossible I would say, given all the stakeholder's individual requirements..

An example of what you get when the top league gets its tail wagging it..

And when no one is really in charge to say "not happening" to the latest ridiculous short term rule or reg that gets proposed..

I don't imagine for one moment it will and it's certainly not a cure all solution but the sport won't be anything again in this country until somebody takes charge and puts an end to it... even if it means 5 or 4 rider teams, to restore some credibility to what after all should be a team sport.

@KenB1 seems to have sussed it out from day 1... I wonder if he still attends speedway?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Doubling up is a curse of British Speedway but the riders need to race for two teams because of the very limited number of fixtures each team races. The only way to solve the problem is to form one big league with teams running a home meeting every week meaning the rider races in the same number of meetings as at present but they are all for the same team. If we have to run with five man teams it will mean the riders get more races in each meeting which is a good thing from the riders point of view as they can make more from each meeting they race. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

I bet it also affects things as well!

21 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Doubling up is a curse of British Speedway but the riders need to race for two teams because of the very limited number of fixtures each team races. The only way to solve the problem is to form one big league with teams running a home meeting every week meaning the rider races in the same number of meetings as at present but they are all for the same team. If we have to run with five man teams it will mean the riders get more races in each meeting which is a good thing from the riders point of view as they can make more from each meeting they race. 

As I have mentioned in a previous post, ideally, riders would only double up if they had been kicked in the b*lls, but it would appear that doubling up is here to stay due to a shortage of riders and what they can earn per meeting in the UK.

Here's a thought. 

Would 2 leagues with the same teams work. 

Championship is every club on any race day but has a race format for 5 man teams. 

Premiership is 7 man teams in the regular format, including the Championship clubs original 5 riders + 2 "World Class" rider's just running home & away once a season on Thursday's. 

An idea, could it work?!? 

21 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Here's a thought. 

Would 2 leagues with the same teams work. 

Championship is every club on any race day but has a race format for 5 man teams. 

Premiership is 7 man teams in the regular format, including the Championship clubs original 5 riders + 2 "World Class" rider's just running home & away once a season on Thursday's. 

An idea, could it work?!? 

The minute you do that Championship attendances plummet.

To put it like this the doubling up doesn't bother me that much really , not ideal but since going to speedway as a youngster that's all I've known really.  What annoys me more is seeing the same teams every week. Leicester have got Ipswich on Monday AGAIN. 3rd time already and no doubt in the play offs were gonna see a team at Leicester 4 times! It's too much and it's boring. I ain't bothering going Monday as it's on the TV so there's already the faffing about plus I've seen doyle & Emil too many times already. I probably won't go Sheffield either, again seen them at Leicester before so it loses its spark. That's 42quid the club has lost due to its rubbish format and league. We need one league asap with the big riders sodding off and blooding the kids. Crowds would drop but so would rider costs and British youth will improve. 

It's not the 'league's' responsibility to develop new riders.

Of course they are stakeholders, and it is in their interests, but the current structure as a pro sport means the responsibility of promoters is to lay on a show for the audience.

Separation of 'British Speedway' and the 'British Speedway League' would be a start, but there's no money for a development programme so that's that.