British Speedway Forum

36 minutes ago, DBP said:

How about returning to the old fans favourite happiness is 40- 38 yes 13 heat matches then having a second half for  junior racers

At least that would save the 20 minutes prior to heat 15 we get now where the teams works out who they want to nominate. The four riders we've worked out several heats earlier. 

1 hour ago, DBP said:

How about returning to the old fans favourite happiness is 40- 38 yes 13 heat matches then having a second half for  junior racers

Why do we have to reduce it ?

Clubs are more than capable of running 15 heats and a six heat second half….and more !

Redcar , and a few other northern clubs, do it every week.

• Like 1

A return to the old 13 heat formula would save a promoter enough money to run a team similar to the old Anglia junior league.Heat 15 alone must cost an unnecessary fortune with four of the highest paid riders having an extra race,often with no effect on the final outcome.Always more money to the star men and a greater gap between their income and the lower members of the team.

Yes Berwick can start at 6.30 and fit 30 heats in at the moment

Edited by Binman

7 hours ago, eric i said:

Whats the problem with Kent and Mildenhall? I know Mildenhall struggle to produce a safe track.

Have you witnessed a meeting there or just assuming this from reading social media posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Binman said:

Yes Berwick can start at 6.30 and fit 30 years in at the moment

That's about how long it feels to watch a Berwick meeting at times.

5 hours ago, KK62 said:

Why do we have to reduce it ?

Clubs are more than capable of running 15 heats and a six heat second half….and more !

Redcar , and a few other northern clubs, do it every week.

It’s not a matter of the time required to run a meeting. It’s the cost of paying the riders. 
That said, a 13 heat main event plus a second half had a lot going for it. 

8 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

It’s not a matter of the time required to run a meeting. It’s the cost of paying the riders. 
That said, a 13 heat main event plus a second half had a lot going for it. 

Is that why 80% of the crowd left after heat 13 ? 
That was one of the reasons they extended the main match to 15 heats as that’s what the fans wanted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Is that why 80% of the crowd left after heat 13 ? 
That was one of the reasons they extended the main match to 15 heats as that’s what the fans wanted.

people forget this but what you say is spot on

Second halfs have to become an attraction that people want to see then. Running it as a league competition gives it more value already. And why not using it to invite some up-and coming riders/teams from abroad such as France, Holland, Germany, Italy etc. to tour the UK and get a series of 2nd half matches against the local junior teams? 

I think the 1960's to early 80's British speedway set up of 13 heats with a 2nd half including novice races was a great set up cause many riders cut their teeth this way. I know that most of the crowd would leave but personally I found many ordinary matches were made more interesting by seeing local novices trying to make their way in the sport after the main event.

With regards to the NDL, British speedways 3rd Division, it has to be retained because since its inception in 1994 it has been one of the best things to happen to the sport. Countless numbers of riders have learned their trade at this level in a proper League set up something they would have been ready for at a higher level. Also like in the case of Workingtons reopening this season this lower cost League has enabled new venues. reopened venues and current tracks struggling to make it pay in the higher professional Leagues pay a platform to operate in. - Would Workington Northside have gone straight into the Championship without the safety net of the NDL to run in before? 

Birmingham and Eastbourne in recent years needed to drop into the 3rd tier in order to keep running. The likes of Mildenhall, Stoke, Somerset, St Austell, Kent, Linlithgow, Rye House, Buxton, Carmarthen, Scunthorpe, Plymouth, Wimbledon, Arena Essex, Skegness, Weymouth and Berwick only opened or reopened because of the existence of the lower cost 3rd Division. Many of these tracks went onto move into the higher Leagues keeping team levels up to a sustainable level.

Looking at all the above facts disbanding the 3rd Division, the NDL in its current guise would be a negative move cause the gentler introduction into the sport for new tracks and new riders would not be there which would seriously hinder future existence of the sport in the UK.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the NDL stays then there will be low Team numbers (so hypothetically if there's only 4 Teams)

In order for it to do what it's designed for and their being 28 riders (I'd even make each team have a number 8, if anyone is missing they step in at number 7 and team is reshuffled per averages, it's not mind blown to move the 1-7 the do it every other week when they sack someone)

There should be no big boy's ie Complin, Roynon, Edwards, Bowtell etc 

And it should also weed out the I'm entitled to get paid now I'm old enough brigade (they should then continue to ride Amateur and  2nd Halfs till they at a level and earned it to picked to move into the NDL)

39 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

I think the 1960's to early 80's British speedway set up of 13 heats with a 2nd half including novice races was a great set up cause many riders cut their teeth this way. I know that most of the crowd would leave but personally I found many ordinary matches were made more interesting by seeing local novices trying to make their way in the sport after the main event.

With regards to the NDL, British speedways 3rd Division, it has to be retained because since its inception in 1994 it has been one of the best things to happen to the sport. Countless numbers of riders have learned their trade at this level in a proper League set up something they would have been ready for at a higher level. Also like in the case of Workingtons reopening this season this lower cost League has enabled new venues. reopened venues and current tracks struggling to make it pay in the higher professional Leagues pay a platform to operate in. - Would Workington Northside have gone straight into the Championship without the safety net of the NDL to run in before? 

Birmingham and Eastbourne in recent years needed to drop into the 3rd tier in order to keep running. The likes of Mildenhall, Stoke, Somerset, St Austell, Kent, Linlithgow, Rye House, Buxton, Carmarthen, Scunthorpe, Plymouth, Wimbledon, Arena Essex, Skegness, Weymouth and Berwick only opened or reopened because of the existence of the lower cost 3rd Division. Many of these tracks went onto move into the higher Leagues keeping team levels up to a sustainable level.

Looking at all the above facts disbanding the 3rd Division, the NDL in its current guise would be a negative move cause the gentler introduction into the sport for new tracks and new riders would not be there which would seriously hinder future existence of the sport in the UK.

I'm generally not a fan of the NDL and personally it's not something I would pay to watch (not at the current price), maybe because of the word Development being used, as it seems to be a bit of a haven for some riders to fill their calendar. But you do make a compelling case for it to continue :t:

Edited by iainb

23 hours ago, mikebv said:

I remember the old SJL..

I think all had four heats each in 3 man teans, with six heats in all...

That could work maybe? 

Six lads per night getting more racing...

This already exists: the Midland Junior League. Unfortunately, the idiot BSPL mostly destroyed it as they couldn't be bothered to run it. As for curfews, Birmingham manage to run a 15 heat main match and a MJL match before 10 pm ... and have found enough riders to run two teams.

• Like 2

Fair enough iainb but you say that as a Leicester fan presumably?

Ask Mildenhall fans about the virtues of the 3rd Division cause without the 3rd tier Mildenhall speedway wouldn't exist.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1