British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford Cheetahs 2024

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Surely "we're" is refering to British Speedway in this case? If British Speedway is running one, two or three leagues? Then Oxford can decide which league to enter? 

Plus it says if we're running one two or three leagues, not of we're competing in one, two or three leagues.

You’d like to think that is the case. 

One track running in three divisions is a recipe for disaster. 

3 hours ago, Ben91 said:

You’d like to think that is the case. 

One track running in three divisions is a recipe for disaster. 

or could present a clear pathway for young riders coming through

44 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

There's also mention of a British Junior League in other screenshots, maybe that's the other league?

yes because that went so well last time.....

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

or could present a clear pathway for young riders coming through

It wouldn’t change the existing pathway. Riders just wouldn’t have to go gain experience of other tracks.

If one track can make three teams work then fair play. But running one team seems a stretch for most places at the moment, so three is a recipe for disaster in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

It wouldn’t change the existing pathway. Riders just wouldn’t have to go gain experience of other tracks.

If one track can make three teams work then fair play. But running one team seems a stretch for most places at the moment, so three is a recipe for disaster in my eyes.

Do the fans have enough money to attend 2/3 meetings a week? Seems abit much really. They could do a special type of season ticket so fans could attend all the meetings at a reduced price. Even as a die hard lions fan I dont have the time or money to cope with more than 1 a week

• Like 2

I'd worry for Oxford's future after 2024 if they run in the Prem and Champ, It's got disaster written all over it.

Fans simply won't have the money to pay out for all of these fixtures during times like this where inflation is through the roof.

Worth having a try of Swindon riding at the Ox, they took 1000 fans to the challenge there last year. Both are top supported clubs just 30 miles apart.. Always found the Oxfam fans very friendly, its not football! And a lot of Robins fans don't live in Swindon/ Wiltshire, some travelling from Wales, Hampshire, Surrey, Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, Oxford, Reading etc.,

Edited by auntie doris

9 minutes ago, TTT said:

I'd worry for Oxford's future after 2024 if they run in the Prem and Champ, It's got disaster written all over it.

Fans simply won't have the money to pay out for all of these fixtures during times like this where inflation is through the roof.

It’s a bit of a risk.IMO.What was crowd levels at the end of last season,compared to the 1st season.Trying to support an even more expensive League Team could prove costly.Must be getting offered very good money if that what they are planning to try and save Premiership. 

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

Do the fans have enough money to attend 2/3 meetings a week? Seems abit much really. They could do a special type of season ticket so fans could attend all the meetings at a reduced price. Even as a die hard lions fan I dont have the time or money to cope with more than 1 a week

It’s unsustainable. Oxford have obviously done well on their return to the sport but sadly the answer to everything these days seems to be over exposure, as they’ll find if they do decide to run three leagues. People would have to pick and choose their meetings and then it’s likely all three teams would run at a loss. 

It’s certainly not worth jeopardising an entire track just on the off chance it makes it easier for a handful of riders to reach a league that is already unsustainable. 

• Like 3

I don't think any track would be able to operate in 3 divisions, there are simply to many meetings to fit in. But I do think Oxford have the capacity to support PL & CL racing.

Over the past two seasons CL crowds have been very good, I have to stress in season 1 the wave over being back after 14 years swelled the crowd in the early matches but the levels were maintained & now at the end of season 2 levels have still been higher than many others.

The NDL crowds have been lower & dispite their success I feel it would be beneficial for the club to move forward & into the PL. I don't believe there would be any more meetings than this season just a change in race night to fit PL (Monday/Thursday) racing but keeping Wednesday for CL. This would give one night a week racing & I think those that stayed away for the NDL in the last 2 seasons would support both PL & CL level clubs at this circuit

26 minutes ago, Technik said:

I don't think any track would be able to operate in 3 divisions, there are simply to many meetings to fit in. But I do think Oxford have the capacity to support PL & CL racing.

Over the past two seasons CL crowds have been very good, I have to stress in season 1 the wave over being back after 14 years swelled the crowd in the early matches but the levels were maintained & now at the end of season 2 levels have still been higher than many others.

The NDL crowds have been lower & dispite their success I feel it would be beneficial for the club to move forward & into the PL. I don't believe there would be any more meetings than this season just a change in race night to fit PL (Monday/Thursday) racing but keeping Wednesday for CL. This would give one night a week racing & I think those that stayed away for the NDL in the last 2 seasons would support both PL & CL level clubs at this circuit

The Discovery money must be more than the figures on here if Oxford do the 2 top leagues. Still makes speedway a mockery in my opinion, when one club can have 2 teams in a supposedly professional league.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:21 PM, auntie doris said:

Worth having a try of Swindon riding at the Ox, they took 1000 fans to the challenge there last year. Both are top supported clubs just 30 miles apart.. Always found the Oxfam fans very friendly, its not football! And a lot of Robins fans don't live in Swindon/ Wiltshire, some travelling from Wales, Hampshire, Surrey, Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, Oxford, Reading etc.,

Just 30 miles apart ?  That's just up the road !   This guy's round trip to Armadale home matches is over 100 miles and did it for over 20 years !

1 hour ago, Technik said:

But the third division will be a British Junior Leabue run as a second half event so only need meetings for two divisions.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:35 PM, Fromafar said:

It’s a bit of a risk.IMO.What was crowd levels at the end of last season,compared to the 1st season.Trying to support an even more expensive League Team could prove costly.Must be getting offered very good money if that what they are planning to try and save Premiership. 

I thought you asked about the crowd levels a couple of weeks ago ? Have a look at this

https://www.rugby.gov.uk/documents/d/guest/15-1-5_oxford_stadium___statement_3604_-pdf?download=true