British Speedway Forum

With BSPL having spent a large five figure sum on transponders last year they are missing from the rule book this year. This begs the question whether they will be used this year or has money been squandered? Is it just an error which will be rectified by a supplementary regulation?

• Like 4

Good question. :t:

I wanted to 'Like' this Post - I can't. :angry::angry:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, edmon said:

With BSPL having spent a large five figure sum on transponders last year they are missing from the rule book this year. This begs the question whether they will be used this year or has money been squandered? Is it just an error which will be rectified by a supplementary regulation?

When Phil Morris was the guest at the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club recently, he did say that transponders would be in use this year.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Petecc said:

Try at the bottom of page 46.

The bottom of page 46 is about brakes and carburettors. No mention of transponders.

13 hours ago, Petecc said:

Try at the bottom of page 46.

You refer to the phrase 'a BSP Ltd registered transponder' 

There is nothing to say that they HAVE to be fitted or where and how fitted on a machine. This needs to be defined so that everyone is equal.

Transponders bring little to domestic Speedway at the moment. I would have thought that they would have put more emphasis on rev limiters which could save engine wear and therefore maintenance costs.

• Like 1

Transponders are a good idea, true, but surprised priority was given to spend a 'five figure sum' on such things for more accurate race times given the current financial state of speedway in the UK. And, yeh what is the current position re: rev limiters ?....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gambo said:

Transponders bring little to domestic Speedway at the moment. I would have thought that they would have put more emphasis on rev limiters which could save engine wear and therefore maintenance costs.

They already have rev limiters in the SGP, so they not in the BL?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

They already have rev limiters in the SGP, so they not in the BL?

Do they have them in any leagues or just the SGP?

58 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I don't know, normally leagues follow suit with mechanical standardisation.

http://www.scbgb.co.uk/news.php?extend.79

https://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/87441-rev-limiters/

Edited by iainb

5 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Have you to use them in Poland here it's up to the rider . Riders are aware transponder has to be used 

If I'm honest I don't believe rev limiters are a positive move at any level of speedway. It would be more sustainable to limit bore size which would mean engine manufacture & tuners would need to provide the correct parts but engine revs would be reduced without outside retarders being needed.

I understand that many will bring up the expense involved but we have been hearing about rev limiters for 6 seasons now. I'd have to ask how many riders are using an engine that is over 6 years old?

• Like 1