British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow Championship Final 2nd Leg 11/10/23

I don’t think Poole choked, Glasgow were clearly the better side and had they had been able to field that team all season they would have finished top of the league no question.

They finished with a top five that was ultra strong and pretty much had five heat leaders, Brennan and Vissing have and are potential 3rd heat leader quality at least.

• Like 4

I'm late to the party as I'd avoided seeing  the result and I only got to watch it in the early hours, after work.

Congratulations to Glasgow & their fans. That was an epic title winning performance. Every Glasgow rider contributed by scoring vital points, stopping Poole getting the 5-1's they badly needed and can feel immensely proud. 

For me, heat 10 summed that up. Was hoping the Pirates could could get the better of Basso for a last chance saloon 5-1, but then Complin pulled out that performance keeping Lawson behind him for 3 laps and scored a vital 2 points. Brilliant :t:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

As I correctly predicted Poole  track men prepped a slick track for the home side ... but forgot to tell their riders to GATE  . Oops.

That track would put me off purchasing a BSN season ticket.

If Glasgow weren’t riding last night, I’d have switched it off. There must have been no more than two passes beyond the first lap.

• Haha 1

Well done to Glasgow, a great reward for the investment the owners have made since taking over. 

A second league title at this level for Harris, 23 years after his first!

I think everyone forgets for a while Bomber was mixing it in the GPS . The one season i think he finished equal 4th with Greg and was arguably riding better than anyone come the end of that series. Like Scott I suppose never quite reached the very top but neither were far away

As the fog clears from my hangover, had a thought. Do Poole fans think that by choosing the easy group in the play offs may have affected them? Glasgow were battle hardened from 2 tough matches with Oxford and fighting back from 10-2 down at Redcar. Whereas scunny at home apart Poole cruised through. 

Son of god's move on Lee apart I don't recall any all out going for gaps you might expect from a team behind in a play off final 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

That track would put me off purchasing a BSN season ticket.

If Glasgow weren’t riding last night, I’d have switched it off. There must have been no more than two passes beyond the first lap.

Don't be put off too soon, you might only be able to watch your lot on Eurosport next year!! Ha ha.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

As I correctly predicted Poole  track men prepped a slick track for the home side ... but forgot to tell their riders to GATE  . Oops.

Said it earlier and I stick by it, Poole won the gate toss twice and both times chose wrongly!!

Those of us in the Poole grandstand every week were shouting loudly (but clearly not loud enough!) 2&4 for heat 1.

Edited by Skidder1

35 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Said it earlier and I stick by it, Poole won the gate toss twice and both times chose wrongly!!

Those of us in the Poole grandstand every week were shouting loudly (but clearly not loud enough!) 2&4 for heat 1.

Don’t worry, when Bomber got the choice he often chose the wrong one. Eventually he realised it was easier to choose heat 15!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations to Glasgow Tigers. Just reward for a great club with great fans . Enjoy it guys . 

• Like 4

Congratulations to all at Glasgow.

Been so impressed with how the club has improved on and off the track and also the friendliness of the fans.

Came up to Glasgow in 2017 and @Gazc went out of his way to help me when he didn't need to. Had a brilliant night there for a derby match vs Edinburgh (Bewley max) and been rooting for you to get the title ever since.

The club does so many good things off the track as well, especially social media and community activities.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Think my first ever Speedway meeting was Berwick Vs Exeter 1999 and Bomber was at reserve. Fast forward 3 years I remember two stalks of Paul Bentley (no slouch), his team I think scored 28 points that night and he then finally caught 'Banger' in Heat 15 to stop his maximum. Then went on to pass Leigh Adams at Berwick the following season.

He's had an excellent career for someone who doesn't trap terribly well. Hopefully he can keep on keeping on for a few more years. Halcyon moments like this week sadly don't usually last.

Well done Glasgow and Bomber!

I think the big turning point in Bomber's career came shortly after he joined the Bees. He was riding at reserve & mainly struggling, but every now & again he did something that made people realise that he had the ability to succeed. The management at Cov moved him up to the midlands ,  got Chris Anderson to manage his affairs & Brian Andersen to sort out his engines. The rest, as they say, is just history, he became  the tremendous entertainer that he is.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Don't be put off too soon, you might only be able to watch your lot on Eurosport next year!! Ha ha.:D

Glasgow will be defending the league championship trophy next season 100%. Great club and good fans I'm glad they are staying put.:t:

• Like 4