British Speedway Forum
longmeadow

Promoters Conference

13 minutes ago, 1Tsunami said:

Those days are long gone. 

I would have disagree with statement to a point.Some supporters Clubs still make significant funds to Clubs.

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Was there a Plan B if Birmingham and Oxford did not join the Premiership?

Brafield presumably. 

12 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Talking Crap again.

I remember, Len coming out after every heat on his tractor, 2 laps and in again. Never delayed meetings as always finished within 90 mins. If there was a break he's be out with the hose.

Absolutely Kev . Hope you are well.

13 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Talking Crap again.

I remember, Len coming out after every heat on his tractor, 2 laps and in again. Never delayed meetings as always finished within 90 mins. If there was a break he's be out with the hose.

That would've been when he went round straight away as soon as the race was over

Now the Tractor is not allowed to move whilst any rider remains on the track - hence the programmed grading breaks

I do agree though it doesn't have to take an age ans could be done more than after 4 , 7 ,11 and 14

I've never understood why many get so upset with trackwork - done right it improves the racing and surely that's what people want....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

That would've been when he went round straight away as soon as the race was over

Now the Tractor is not allowed to move whilst any rider remains on the track - hence the programmed grading breaks

I do agree though it doesn't have to take an age ans could be done more than after 4 , 7 ,11 and 14

I've never understood why many get so upset with trackwork - done right it improves the racing and surely that's what people want....

This has amazed me over the past few years, we used to moan if the tractors - and rakers - didnt come out after every heat. They didnt delay racing, they graded during the natural gap. Now people moan because they come out at all! 

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I, too, have never understood why people get so upset about the tractor making an appearance. We used to enjoy the break in racing by having a good old chat amongst ourselves to pass the time.

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I remember at Newport, Scott Smith ( the other one) doing a victory lap, the tractor was out, he laid the bike down before hitting the tractor, and the bike stood perfectly upright and continued around the track standing up on the rake behind the tractor

Edited by piston197
name change
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I, too, have never understood why people get so upset about the tractor making an appearance. We used to enjoy the break in racing by having a good old chat amongst ourselves to pass the time.

You would probably enjoy it even more at Cowley now as the promoter grades the track  then comes out on the bowser insisting on doing it all himself so the breaks are doubled such fun.

Edited by Toady

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Have you ever been to a Speedway meeting alone, as many of us do? On a cold spring or autumn night the allure of watching a tractor (seemingly) endlessly going around the track, soon wears off.

20 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have you ever been to a Speedway meeting alone, as many of us do? On a cold spring or autumn night the allure of watching a tractor (seemingly) endlessly going around the track, soon wears off.

Don't you have any friends to meet up with?;)

16 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Don't you have any friends to meet up with?;)

Always went with my dad... sadly he's no longer with us... gone to the big tractor racing track in the sky :)

So I fly solo these days

There was very rarely an interval at Rye House under Len Silver too. The short grading breaks were your opportunities to use the facilities/get refreshments. Speedway meetings don’t need an interval at all really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

There was very rarely an interval at Rye House under Len Silver too. The short grading breaks were your opportunities to use the facilities/get refreshments. Speedway meetings don’t need an interval at all really.

Sometimes the landlord/stadium owner requires it though

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You need to be more sociable. Let me know where you are and I'll buy you a beer. Then we can use all those "unnecessary" breaks to sort out all of the speedway world's problems. :P

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

When it’s needed no problem at all, but all too often it was coming out to grade a track that was a flat as a witches twit and hardly any dirt on it, what’s the point?
Slick, slick, slick, dry and dusty and can’t water it because then it will go like ice, that’s all too often what we have now in this country bar a few tracks like Belle Vue, Redcar and Scunthorpe to name three.

• Like 1