British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

Janowski No.1 is a 100% certainty.

BSN running an article about Janowski being in talks with 3 British clubs, We know it's not Sheffield, Certainly isn't BV, Ips or Leic.

So it's Oxford, Brum and KL......Oxford's owners can make Magic a much better offer than KL and Brum.

• Like 1

Looking at the team Sheffield have already released Oxford are going to need to be looking past their own championship squad for at least four riders of quality. I'm not saying they all need to be heat leaders but of a standard that they will improve to the highest level

4 hours ago, TTT said:

BSN running an article about Janowski being in talks with 3 British clubs, We know it's not Sheffield, Certainly isn't BV, Ips or Leic.

So it's Oxford, Brum and KL......Oxford's owners can make Magic a much better offer than KL and Brum.

Not 100%... he could turn all 3 down!!

On 11/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ben91 said:

The idea that tracks have to have a meeting every week is pretty archaic. You can have too much of a good thing, especially in the current economic climate where people can’t afford to attend every week.  

I can’t think of any mainstream team sports in which a team has a home match every week either. People are not going to forget about speedway or stop going if there’s not a meeting every week. Look at the patchy fixture lists we’ve been exposed to in recent seasons. 

There’s a huge novelty factor at Oxford at the moment. The top tier team will become the novelty in 2024 and the Championship team will not be as attractive, especially when fans are picking and choosing meetings. Eventually the top tier novelty factor will wear off too. My concern is that they’re overreaching by making this move. 

Having been a fan since 1967, I  used to love weekly speedway and it's demise is disappointing particularly when it's more to do with the influence of foreign leagues, GP'S etc rather than the willingness of fans to turn up regularly.  You mention the patchy fixture list, well that is something the fans have to endure rather than enjoy. Any promoter would give their eye teeth for weekly attendances. As for cost Oxford should be able to come with packages for those who want to attend 1,2 or all 3 leagues. I must admit running 3 leagues is exceedingly ambitious and I wish the promotion the very best of luck.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TTT said:

Oxford's owners could have also made Lindgren an offer too ;)

On 11/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, Phil The Ace said:

Remember also. Oxfords owner is one of, if not THE richest bookmaker in UK. Got money to burn 

Who actually is Oxford's owner ?, genuine question.

6 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Having been a fan since 1967, I  used to love weekly speedway and it's demise is disappointing particularly when it's more to do with the influence of foreign leagues, GP'S etc rather than the willingness of fans to turn up regularly.  You mention the patchy fixture list, well that is something the fans have to endure rather than enjoy. Any promoter would give their eye teeth for weekly attendances. As for cost Oxford should be able to come with packages for those who want to attend 1,2 or all 3 leagues. I must admit running 3 leagues is exceedingly ambitious and I wish the promotion the very best of luck.

I think the ever dwindling attendances across the sport show fans are less willing to turn up every week. The reality is there are many reasons people don’t attend weekly. 

The patchy fixture lists (and uncompleted fixtures) have been an embarrassment to the sport. Especially when there have been blank weeks during the height of summer and then a mad rush to finish the season come October when the weather turns. 

Of course any business wants to make a profit and a weekly one at that. But they also have to be realistic about how their product is consumed. It’s better to make a profit from two meetings a month than a loss from four. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ben91 said:

I can’t think of any mainstream team sports in which a team has a home match every week.
Look at the patchy fixture lists we’ve been exposed to in recent seasons. 

Basketball, televised on sky and crowds larger than uk Speedway. 
Patchy fixture list replaced by regular meetings. - not archaic, habit forming. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Basketball, televised on sky and crowds larger than uk Speedway. 
Patchy fixture list replaced by regular meetings. - not archaic, habit forming. 

As well as indoors, dry, warm, comfortable seating and little danger of any last minute call-offs!

Very little point in comparing any outdoor sport with anything indoors!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, Phil The Ace said:

Remember also. Oxfords owner is one of, if not THE richest bookmaker in UK. Got money to burn 

Thought he was more a punter than a bookmaker ?

Denise Coates from Bet365 paid herself a £260m bonus last year, if Oxford's owner is a richer bookie than that then can he go and buy a few stadiums!

2 hours ago, proud panther said:

Thought he was more a punter than a bookmaker ?

Maybe he is then. He is something to do with bookies I think. He owns 4 greyhound tracks and owns a company that film the greyhound racing. 

Would like to see Tobi Musielak in the Oxford team. Speedway is less affordable to watch now than the 60s or 70s. The days at Blunsdon when peeps could afford to go every week, 36 meetings, lockouts with 17000 inside are gone.

Good Luck with the 3 teams, a bold move, will certainly encourage speed fans from miles around to watch the top riders in the sport. Pity teams such as Swindon, Poole, Coventry, Reading, Wollves, Peterborough etc., won't be joining them. I will be making the trip up the a420 a few times.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Maybe he is then. He is something to do with bookies I think. He owns 4 greyhound tracks and owns a company that film the greyhound racing. 

He owns Henlow. The rest he just has a lease from the stadium owners. And he's not a bookmaker, but a punter and big greyhound owner (the largest in the country I believe).

• Like 1