British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Championship Predictions 2024

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

When Stewart assembled the team I liked the look of it and they would really have to have an off night at home to lose.

It is refreshing to see the Bandit fans having a team to be excited about and the team has strength in depth especially at reserve ,if a rider in the 1-5 is having an off night.

Hope they have an off night this Saturday right enough.

Glasgow are the Team most likely to defeat Berwick at Home this season. iMO.Should be a cracker this Sat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Glasgow are the Team most likely to defeat Berwick at Home this season. iMO.Should be a cracker this Sat.

Agree with that, plenty Shielfield experience in the Glasgow team.

17 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Oh yes, Ace too!

Well you are not having Tom back ;). I just wonder when riders have to change teams that is forced on them, they take a couple of months to settle. Didn't Masters say going to Oxford felt different to what he thought but halfway through last season onwards he felt comfortable in the team. 

Wish we could……….lol

A few Pirates’ fans maybe changing their minds about not initially wanting Tom in the side?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragdoll64 said:

Wish we could……….lol

A few Pirates’ fans maybe changing their minds about not initially wanting Tom in the side?

Think it was just based on previous performances  (same happened when Lawson came) although more banking on the track now, which I'm sure him and Hagon appreciate! 

• Like 1

I don’t think the change was exactly forced on Tom, my understanding is he didn’t clarify whether he wanted to come back or not, and it got to a point where Glasgow couldn’t wait any longer.

Regardless, I think the change is a good move for him, and he’ll be under less pressure this year, which will be the biggest help. He certainly showed at Poole in the playoffs that he can ride the track, and he’ll be particularly good away from home. He was better away from Ashfield than at Ashfield last season.

8 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Wish we could……….lol

It was time for Tom to move, his scoring around Ashfield last season was patchy a lot of the time.

Don’t get me wrong he was a good fit for Glasgow when we managed to get him onboard when Eastbourne sadly folded .

Very likeable young man who should go on and have a good career.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Wish we could……….lol

Another young rider we've let go at the wrong time. Bewley and Bailey being two others that we didn't get any benefit from after their development years with us

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Another young rider we've let go at the wrong time. Bewley and Bailey being two others that we didn't get any benefit from after their development years with us

and  thats Glasgow all over . they want everything NOW . not willing to watch young riders develop over time and lose out apart from the odd bit of silverware . but that is their choice .

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Glasgow didn't let Bewley go. He was a Belle Vue rider and decided to leave Glasgow. Connor is still a Glasgow 'asset' and is progressing nicely. Last year we chose not to use him and we won the Championship. Last year Tom was getting stick from some fans overhis home form, wrongly in my opinion, and rumour suggests he didn't really want to come back. When clubs are limited by a points limit every year, there will always be difficult decisions to make when building a team and hard decisions will have to be made.

• Like 1

Poole

Scunthorpe

Redcar

Glasgow 

Berwick

Oxford

Workington

Edinburgh

Plymouth 

Poole look very strong but top four could be of a different order.

4 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Glasgow didn't let Bewley go. He was a Belle Vue rider and decided to leave Glasgow. Connor is still a Glasgow 'asset' and is progressing nicely. Last year we chose not to use him and we won the Championship. Last year Tom was getting stick from some fans overhis home form, wrongly in my opinion, and rumour suggests he didn't really want to come back. When clubs are limited by a points limit every year, there will always be difficult decisions to make when building a team and hard decisions will have to be made.

And if he continues to progress this year, as can be expected, it will be Redcar who will reap the benefit. Similarly Poole with Tom. Why don't these guys want to come back? 

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

and  thats Glasgow all over . they want everything NOW . not willing to watch young riders develop over time and lose out apart from the odd bit of silverware . but that is their choice .

Not really, it's a numbers game and you can't have everyone back from a title winning team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

You must've missed the 16 year old riding for the league champions :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

Nobody on the forum really knows what goes on behind the scenes regarding what riders really want to do.Personally I though Glasgow would have kept Tom but with averages and everything else you will never know.

• Like 1

Id like to have seen Tom at workington 

But obviously Saturday track will struggle for ambitious young riders