British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Period of mourning. No sport activities.

3 hours ago, Derrickn said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me,but I can't help thinking I went to a meeting somewhere over the Christmas period. It would have been late 60s or 70ts,probably in Yorkshire.Of course,it could be senility setting in.

Tim Stone of Newport tried several attempts to put a speedway meeting on for a few years during the Xmas period. I think some had to be cancelled because of snow. That would be late 90's and early 00's.

32 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Educate yourself, bud....  She was  Elizabeth I in Scotland, not the 2nd.

Think you will find the legal challenge to have her Elizabeth 1 of Scotland was unsuccessful in 1953.! she was Elizabeth 2 Queen of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Tim Stone of Newport tried several attempts to put a speedway meeting on for a few years during the Xmas period. I think some had to be cancelled because of snow. That would be late 90's and early 00's.

Definitely Newport. I think we had a meeting every year from 1999-2008 under Tim, and then 2010-12  in the Mallett reign. Frostbite was pretty much guaranteed every year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Derrickn said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me,but I can't help thinking I went to a meeting somewhere over the Christmas period. It would have been late 60s or 70ts,probably in Yorkshire.Of course,it could be senility setting in.

There was a meeting on Boxing Day 1985 - Ellesmere Port Past & Present v Inter League Select Tuesday 26th December 1985 (Joe Owen Benefit Meeting).  Track was brick hard with some  puddles iced over. 

Football at all levels is pretty much off this weekend. Rugby is pretty much all on. The third test match between England and South Africa resumes on Saturday, the Abingdon Airshow on Saturday has been postponed, yet the Duxford Airshow on Saturday and Sunday goes ahead as planned.

So basically, there's a 50-50 split between what's going on and what isn't. If you look at football forums, they are lamenting the postponement decision. I tend to agree, By carrying on, and by pulling people together, it allows shows of love and appreciation, as well as last respects and condolence. I can imagine there will be many a rugby ground having a minute or two of silence and then following that with a great rendition of the new national anthem.

Queen Eliabeth II has passed; the Monarchy lives on. God Save the King.

• Like 3

Got to agree sad times but life goes on, if speedway or any other sport was to go ahead this weekend   I'd imagine that the 1-2 minutes silence would be followed, then the 'new' national anthem would be sung with gusto, and it would be a meeting of friends at this sad time, rather than being stuck with nothing to do  as the news just gets on top of you at sometimes.    RIP ma'am

Edited by Neila

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

I used to go to those, the New Year Classics... was cold, but never as cold as I used to be at Swindon!

I think Sheffield tried to put a meeting on also but was weathered off 

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pauljb said:

Its on tonight as well, Coventry v Bedford in the championship

I know as I was there along with 2100 others;)The National Anthem was sung before a 2 minute silence on the refs whistle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I used to go to those, the New Year Classics... was cold, but never as cold as I used to be at Swindon!

I think Sheffield tried to put a meeting on also but was weathered off 

Fairly sure there was at least one winter meeting at Sheffield while Neil Machin was promoter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Fairly sure there was at least one winter meeting at Sheffield while Neil Machin was promoter.

Drifting further away from the title/theme of the thread, but I definitely attended a Christmas week match at Owlerton in the 1990s. It wasn't called speedway though, something like "Speedtrack" and had a ramp on the back straight so the riders had to jump MX style. As a result, as it was not conventional speedway, it did not to breach winter close down regs. Shortly afterwards, may be even the next year, regular meetings were held annually at Newport, with official approval, and called speedway.

I remember at least one of the Tatums riding in the Owlerton meeting and think he won.  

• Like 1

My lads non league team have arranged a friendly for today...

100% the right thing to do...

We go to work daily, and some sports have carried on, so why prevent people enjoying themselves? 

Her family mourning and doing what they want I absolutely get, (just like any other family who have lost someone), but it seems daft to prevent those who had no contact or relationship with her from doing what they want to do..

Cinemas remain open, pubs remain open, restaurants remain open, gyms remain open, seaside resorts remain open, so why are (some) sports not taking place? 

Barmy to be honest..

Being a keen follower of horse racing herself, I am sure she wouldn't have given a monkey's if everything just carried on as normal..

Which 99% of things have...

• Like 2

I think there will always be a debate about what should happen and what should not and there will always be split opinions, all we can do is follow what is put before us and accept it for what it is, we have lost a great lady who had time for everyone, a lady who never seemed fazed by anything, she will be our last queen for possibly centuries, the next female in line to the throne is williams daughter, but bear in mind if William were to have another child and its a boy she goes further down the line, then you have prince George who will no doubt have children, again if they are boy's we are looking at centuries if that trend continued, strange isn't it that we have witnessed what possibly could be the last ever queen of Great Britain 

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

My lads non league team have arranged a friendly for today...

100% the right thing to do...

We go to work daily, and some sports have carried on, so why prevent people enjoying themselves? 

Her family mourning and doing what they want I absolutely get, (just like any other family who have lost someone), but it seems daft to prevent those who had no contact or relationship with her from doing what they want to do..

Cinemas remain open, pubs remain open, restaurants remain open, gyms remain open, seaside resorts remain open, so why are (some) sports not taking place? 

Barmy to be honest..

Being a keen follower of horse racing herself, I am sure she wouldn't have given a monkey's if everything just carried on as normal..

Which 99% of things have...

Barmy indeed.

A friend of my husband has come over from Germany this weekend, principally to watch Fulham v Chelsea. We are reduced to watching London Irish v Worcester rugby.